State Cup Series
Join us on sample date
In 2010, 12 juniors teamed up to raise $12,000 for charity and the Carolina Cup was born.
Patrick Cover and Thomas Walsh, both North Carolina natives, founded the initial event. Though its leadership, tournament name (originally the Dormie Cup) and venue have changed, this event provided a blueprint for future Leadership Links and ACE Grant fundraising opportunities. Over the years, the Carolina Cup has impacted the Wounded Warrior Project, Curesearch for Children’s Cancer, The First Tee of Sandhills and Tri Counties and the Nicklaus Children’s Health Care Foundation.
The event also raises money for the Liberty National Achieving Competitive Excellence (ACE) Grant, which provides financial assistance to young men and women who aspire to earn a college golf scholarship through competitive junior golf. Since 2010, the event has raised more than $500,000. In 2017, the AJGA was excited to introduce the State Cup Series, founded to produce Carolina Cup-type events throughout the United States. Now, across more than fifteen states and with more than 400 juniors participating, the Cobra PUMA Golf State Cup Series boasts nineteen events.
The Cobra PUMA Golf State Cup Series events empower the world’s best junior golfers to engage their communities through charitable giving, leadership, and teamwork. As a reward for their efforts, juniors are treated to a Ryder-Cup style tournament at some of the world’s finest golf courses.
2023 COBRA PUMA GOLF STATE CUP SERIES
- Up to 32 juniors are split between two teams in a one or two-day Ryder Cup style event
- Participants come from all over the state
- Most are AJGA members but this is not required
- Each junior commits to raising a minimum of $1,000 to compete
- Proceeds are split between the local charities and the Liberty National ACE Grant program
- A more formal junior-led banquet celebrates the accomplishments and educates juniors on the charity and reasons to give back
- Participants receive Cobra PUMA golf team uniforms, TaylorMade golf balls, other Leadership Links incentives
- For overall top fundraisers, special events such as meeting Jack and Barbara Nicklaus at the Honda Classic have been offered as incentives